Chicken Souvlaki tacos are a delicious way to experience greek flavours at home. A bed of chicory greens in a soft corn tortilla is topped with grilled souvlaki chicken, diced tomatoes, cucumber slices, crumbled feta, sliced peperoncini, olives, and a tangy tzatziki sauce.
Welcome to the first post ever on Sammies and Cookies! I have been scrambling for almost a week now doing my best to get my blog up and running. Honestly, I could probably have done it in an afternoon except that I have a lot of difficulty doing nebulous tasks with lots of steps and no set instructions. I relied heavily on Cookie and Kate’s “How to Start a Food Blog” guide, but it still took me until, oh, twenty minutes ago to actually get to this point, and I still have some work to do.
I wanted to have my website ready by today, because I wanted to share these Chicken Souvlaki Tacos with you! Unfortunately, I have to relearn how to use my camera, so today’s photos were take using my phone. I still wanted to share this, though!
I love tacos, by the way. Growing up, we only had Mom Tacos. You know, Taco Seasoning, ground beef, hard taco shells that always broke and scattered the precious filling everywhere? It wasn’t until I became responsible for all of the cooking in my household that I discover tacos could be anything else. Pulled pork tacos? Yes. Fish tacos? Heck yes. Italian Wedding Soup Tacos? You can bet I’ve made those, too.
I love tacos enough that I picked them for my meta theme on /r/52weeksofcooking.
Speaking of tacos, let’s turn our attention back to Chicken Souvlaki Tacos. After marinating in a mixture of olive oil, lemon juice, herbs, and spices all day, the chicken gets this lovely, tangy flavor. At this point, you could just thread all your pieces onto a few skewers, grill them, and call it dinner served with some sauce and sides. But you could also make tacos.
- 1 Boneless, Skinless Chicken Breast, sliced (about 1lb)
- 4 Corn Tortillas
- ¼ small Cucumber, halved and sliced into half-moons
- ½ cup Black Olives, sliced
- ½ cup Grape Tomatoes, diced or sliced
- 1 cup Chicory Greens, sliced into ribbons
- ¼ cup sliced Pepperoncinis
- Crumbled feta, to taste
- 4 Tbs Olive Oil
- 2 Tbs Lemon Juice
- 2 Cloves Garlic, minced
- 1 tsp dried Oregano
- Salt and Pepper
- In a medium mixing bowl or quart-size Ziploc bag, combine marinade ingredients and whisk to incorporate.
- Add sliced chicken breast and stir until chicken is evenly coated in marinade.
- Transfer chicken and marinade to an air-tight container, if not using a Ziploc, and refrigerate for at least two hours.
- Grill or saute chicken slices in an even layer until cooked through, turning once, then transfer to plate.
- Warm tortillas using your preferred method.
- Add chicory leaves, chicken, tomatoes, cucumber, olives, feta and tzatziki.
*Marinade adapted from The Iron You, which also has a lovely recipe for tzatziki.